A former federal prosecutor and veteran white collar defense attorney, he has expertise in areas of compliance, internal investigations and enforcement matters.
Mr. Volkov spent 17 years as a federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia. As an Assistant US Attorney, he had over 75 jury trials and extensive federal court experience. He also served on the Senate and House Judiciary Committees as the chief crime and terrorism counsel for the respective committees. In addition, Mr. Volkov served as a deputy assistant attorney general in the Office of Legislative Affairs of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and as a trial attorney in the DOJ’s Antitrust Division.
Michael Volkov maintains a highly popular FCPA blog – Corruption, Crime & Compliance. He is a regular speaker at events around the globe, and is frequently cited in the media for his knowledge on criminal issues, enforcement matters, compliance and corporate governance.
In February 2013, Michael Volkov created the Volkov Law Group, a firm specializing in compliance, internal investigations and white collar defense, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and the UK Bribery Act, antitrust criminal, health care fraud, off-label marketing of pharmaceuticals and medical devices, securities, export controls and sanctions, environmental enforcement, and other emerging compliance and enforcement issues.
- Successfully represented and individual and his company in an investigation of potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act before the US Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission;
- Successfully represented three officers of a multinational company in two separate criminal antitrust investigations involving a criminal antitrust investigation in the District of Columbia and the Southern District of New York;
- Defended pharmaceutical company before the Food and Drug Administration and Senate Finance Committee relating to application for approval of generic drug. Conducted internal investigation which exonerated company against allegations of false statements in submissions to the FDA and against improper conduct alleged by Senate Finance Committee;
- Conducted several focused due diligence investigations for large multinational companies for anti-corruption compliance of: potential third party agents, joint venture partners and acquisition targets in Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America;
- Prepared company for due diligence investigation on anti-corruption compliance in advance of potential acquisition of company;
- Represented company before the US State Department on alleged violations of ITAR which lead to voluntary disclosure and imposition of no civil or criminal penalties.
- Designed and implemented anti-corruption compliance programs (FCPA and UK Bribery Act) for numerous companies, including multinational companies, Fortune 500 companies and privately-held companies. Developed innovate tools for assessment, auditing and enhanced compliance.
- Advised hospitals, pharmaceutical companies and medical device companies on compliance issues relating to False Claims Act, Stark law and Anti-Kickback law and regulations;
- Represented individual in white collar fraud case in Alexandria. Virginia and secured dismissal of criminal charges and expungement of criminal record;
- Represented company before Congress and Executive Branch in effort to modify Justice Department regulations concerning use of federal funds; and
- Advised and assisted World Bank in review of global corruption policies, enforcement programs and corruption investigations and prosecutions.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D. 1982, cum laude
University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business, B.S. Economics 1979, School of Arts and Sciences, B.A., History 1979
District of Columbia and Virginia